Thursday, February 01, 2007

Golden Gaels and Redmen


I have no idea what you might think that title means, unless you know what it means. Last Friday (Yes, I know it's a long time ago, would you like to do my homework for me? [make sure you get me an A]), my classmates Dan, Jim and I drove out to Kingston to shoot the Queen's University Golden Gaels hockey team play against the McGill University Redmen. I didn't know about the Queens-McGill rivalry, according to Wikipedia
The hockey rivalry between Queen's and McGill dates back to 1895, when on Feb. 2 Queen's defeated McGill 6-5 in Kingston, beginning what is the second-longest existing active rivalry in hockey history (after the Queen’s-Royal Military College of Canada rivalry, 1886).

But even more interesting, again according to Wikipedia
The inventions of North American football, hockey, and basketball are all related to McGill in some way. The first game of North American football was played between McGill and Harvard in 1874. The world's first organized hockey club (known as the Redmen since 1927), played their first game on January 31, 1877. McGill alumnus James Naismith invented basketball in early December of 1891.

The game was great, fast with lots of hits and even a couple of fights. It was even better than going to a Belleville Bulls or Vancouver Giants game. I can't comment on the Canucks, because the last time I attended a Canucks game Tiger Williams was still playing. That's just what was happening on the ice, then there were the highland dancers and the pipe band. Yup, a pipe band at a hockey game. I like bagpipes, so I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Oh, yes, there were also signs about which team had what disease and chants about who was having intercourse with what. It was a great evening and I will be going back.

The Redmen won.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love a man in a skirt!!! And beating a drum is good too.....all in the name of .....well...men beating drums and wearing skirts!!......what? oh, and hockey!!