Thursday, October 25, 2007

Kite Surfing at Sandbanks Provincial Park

Sandbanks Provincial Park is about 45 minutes from where I live. Last year in October, the day my good friend Julie was arriving to visit, I got lost in the park.

I wandered through the sandy park and arrived at the beach and couldn't find my way back to the car. Worse, I couldn't find my way back to the place where I realized I couldn't find my way back to the car.

When I was in BC I remember scoffing at people who would go hiking in the North Shore Mountains and then call Search and Rescue to get them out when they were hopelessly lost, without food or water and not dressed to spend the night.

Suddenly, it seemed like I might be one of those people!

After crying and lying on the ground in the foetal position for a while, I got up, dusted myself off and wandered back to the beach, then I walked along the shore until I found a recreation area and walked along the road.

Then I turned around at took the road the other direction which took me to a road that wasn't overgrown with weeds.

Then I saw people! After much gesturing, offering of food and some sort of folk dance, they told me my car was just a few minutes away, up a trail.

And it was.

Then I went to pick up my good friend Julie, and she never knew a thing.

This year I went to Sandbanks Provincial Park with my landlady Cathi and her son Graeme.

We didn't get lost.




The Friends of Sandbanks Park is an incorporated, non-profit, charitable organization. It is part of a growing network of independent cooperating associations dedicated to protecting and preserving the natural and cultural history of provincial parks through interpretation, education, and scientific and historic research.


L'Association de «kitesurf» et «windsurf» d'Aylmer (AKWA), un regroupement d'amateurs de sports aérotractés dans la région de l'Outaouais.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...you told me about it. So I DID know.

Anonymous said...

oh, and he's hot. the guy you interviewed. I could do with a new hobby.