Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Eileen's Fireworks

My good friend Eileen threw a party this pass weekend for the HSBC Celebration of Light finale.

Even better, I was invited!

Yes, I behaved myself.

No, I didn't leave a mess in the bathroom.

Eileen has a lovely apartment with hardwood floors and a view of English Bay.

The Celebration of Lights, formerly known as the Symphony of Fire, has been held annually since 1990.

When cigarette advertising was restricted in 2001, the event was at risk of cancellation until other sponors including HSBC came to the rescue.

The event is run as a competition and this year included Canada, the USA and China.

Canada won, but Eileen thought the Americans had put on a very good show.

Past year's winners include Mexico, Sweden and China.

Besides including all of this year's competitors, the finale also included fireworks in celebration of BC's 150th anniversary.

An estimated 1.4 million people attend the four evening event, the fireworks last about 25 minutes. (No, the video is not 25 minutes long.)

This is the kind of stuff I was looking forward to when I came back to BC.

Well, this and a job.



Related Links
HSBC Celebration of Light [Official site]
Psychadelik Pedestrian [Internet Archive]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

actually I thought China put on a good show I didn't see the USA's show.

thanks for the video, its awesome