Like Nike, the IOC does not actually produce anything, they just market a lifestyle.
But, better than Nike's marketing, the IOC is able to market it's "lifetstyle" to companies who pay for the priviledge to perpetuate the promotion of the lifestyle which the IOC can market to companies who pay for the priviledge to perpetuate the promotion of the lifestyle which the IOC can market to companies who pay for the priviledge to perpetuate the promotion of the lifestyle which the IOC can market to...
Nice work if you can get it, eh?
From the Official Charter of the Olympics(TM):
- Olympism is a philosophy of life,exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
- The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.
- The Olympic Movement is the concerted,organised,universal and permanent action,carried out under the supreme authority of the IOC,of all individuals and entities who are inspired by the values of Olympism. It covers the five continents. It reaches its peak with the bringing together of the world’s athletes at the great sports festival,the Olympic Games.Its symbol is five interlaced rings.
- The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship,solidarity and fair play.The organisation,administration and management of sport must be controlled by independent sports organisations.
- Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,religion, politics,gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.
- Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter and recognition by the IOC.
An additional point of interest: Stephen Harper will not be attending the opening ceremonies. It's not a boycott, he's just, um, busy.
Bejing Olympics [Official site]
International Olympic Committee [Official site]
10 Reasons to Boycott the Beijing Olympics [Bejing Olympics Boycott]
On Beijing Olympics, Harper's actions speak louder than words [Georgia Straight]