Thursday, December 03, 2009

Examination is complete

We're through.

The Examiner and I, that is.

Everyone else is fine.  I'm not through with anybody else.  At all.  Even a little bit.  You know who you are.

That last bit was a bit creepy, wasn't it?

Well, moving on, I've decided to end my relationship with The Examiner.

In my email explaining my concerns to Channel Manager Grant Davis, I wrote:
"I am unsatisfied with the reluctance of The Examiner to provide information about payment terms.

Further, I am uncomfortable with many of the clauses within section 7, notably clause b.

Thank you for considering me, I wish you and your organization all the best in the future."

Section 7, clause b of the states, "You hereby grant to Examiner.com a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to:"

Hmmm, now that I look at it, maybe section 7, clause b of The Examiner.com's Independent Contractor Agreement and License wasn't that bad at all.

Maybe the real problem is section 7, clause b, subsection i where it continues, "copy, reproduce, distribute, perform, modify, adapt, create derivative works, use, transmit, and display the Works or any part thereof, in any in any manner, media or format now existing or hereafter devised, whether fixed or interactive, including without limitation in print, audio, on the Internet, via wireless network, in databases and compilations, via MP3 players and other devices capable of playing audio content, via cell phones and PDAs, in CD-ROMs and DVDs, and in the websites and print newspapers of Examiner.com and Affiliates;"

So, just to be clear, in section 2 of The Examiner.com's Independent Contractor Agreement and License they admit you may never be paid, but in section 7 they want royalty-free rights to your work.

Who does this?

Who would agree to this.  Okay, who would agree to this if they read The Examiner.com's Independent Contractor Agreement and License? 

What would the possible point be?  That is to say, what would the point of this be for me or any of the other writers of The Examiner?

If I want to write for free I have this blog.

If I want to improve my online profile, I have this blog.

And my web site.

And my YouTube channel.

And Twitter.

And Facebook.

And LinkedIn.

So, what does any writer need The Examiner for?

Related Links
The Examiner
AnthonyDamonse.com
YouTube
Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn


Related Video

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bath mate said...

As always an excellent posting.The
way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

Bathmate

bath mate said...

As always an excellent posting.The
way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

Bathmate