Friday, July 18, 2008

Not just a geek, a CAR geek!

As may already be clear from previous posts, I am a geek.

What may also be clear from previous posts is that I like cars.

I'm not sure if it's clear from previous posts that I like movies too.

I do.

Now, all of these things are coming together in what may be the greatest car/movie/geek event ever!

Flash of Genius is a feature length movie from a major studio about the history of intermittent wipers.

Yes, a movie about intermittent wipers.

I imagine the third act will be even more action filled than Denzel Washington's 2007 movie The Great Debaters which told the story of a debate team.

A debate team from 1935!

I didn't know this, but Ford and Chrysler were successfully sued for patent infringement because Robert Kearns was the actual inventor of intermittent wipers, and they didn't pay him for his patent.

There isn't a modern car available that doesn't have intermittent wipers available at some price point, if they are not standard equipment.

Kearns died in 2005, most of the money he made from the lawsuits went to lawyers, I hope some money from this movie goes to his family, because you know there are going to be a lot of people going to see a movie about the history of intermittent wipers.

The movie comes out in October.




Related Links
Flash of Genius [IMDB]
Robert Kearns [Wikipedia]
The Great Debaters [IMDB]

Via Jalopnik

No comments: