Sunday, April 01, 2012

Citation provided

I'm perfectly willing to admit I Google my name periodically.

Part of this is because I'm looking for work (hire me!) and so I need to know how I'm presented online.

An the other part is, um, well, you know....

Don't judge me!

Recently I decided to use Bing, Microsoft's search engine.

Yes, I Googled with Bing.

Or, I Binged to Google myself.

Alternately, I Googled on Bing.

There was a time, not that long ago, when those sentences wouldn't have made any sense. 

Somewhere there people in marketing departments who read this blog regularly (I'm sure it must happen) who are horrified by how badly I've just eroded their brand's value.

Later today, after I Hoover the floors, I'm going put on my Windbreaker and use the Zipper to close it to a jaunty degree before I drive a Jeep to a fine retailer near me to buy Aspirin. I'd buy Heroin but it's both illegal and coincidentally unavailable at the otherwise fine retailer near me.

Sometimes I feel really sorry for people in marketing departments, but most of the time I just don't care.

What was I blathering on about? Oh, right, me.

I wasn't expecting significantly different results from every other time I've obsessively Googled my name, and they didn't appear to be until I decided to look through the results beyond the first page.

And I found the strangest thing. Mike de Jong's Wikipedia entry.

Mike de Jong isn't strange, he's just a politician.

And what does he have to do with me?

Bear in mind (but not "bare in mind", because you really don't want to picture me naked, I haven't lost my winter weight yet [What? I could lose the extra weight by summer!]{Probably just skip that last sentence completely.}), I've met and interview him while I was in Kitimat and he was running to lead the provincial Liberal party.

And there I found it, waaaay down near the bottom of the page.

It's a citation, linking to a story I wrote published in the Kitimat Northern Sentinel when I interviewed de Jong.

So, the point of this blog post is that I've been cited for an article on Wikipedia, which I think is the coolest thing ever (yeah, yeah, yeah, birth of child, marriage... whatever).

The link doesn't work, however, because Black Press takes down articles after three months.

Please don't update the Wikipedia article, it's all I've got (yeah, yeah, yeah, birth of child, marriage... whatever).


Related links (you had to know there would be some)
The thing referred to

Related video

No comments: