Thursday, April 05, 2012

I'll never do this again

From left, Christina Kiesel, Ronnie Seterdahl Negus, Reiko
MacKenzie, and Mary Zilba. Not pictured Jody Claman.
Photo by Stephen Hui via Georgia Straight.
It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm a sucker for the Real Housewives franchise.

Don't judge me.

I liked the original from Orange County, I watched the New York, New Jersey and Atlanta spin offs.

I can't explain why I liked it, I didn't identify with most of the people, I didn't like most of them and the lifestyles seemed vacuous.

And yet I watched.

When I heard there was going to be a Real Housewives of Vancouver I was inwardly pleased.

And ashamed.

Yeah, it's complicated to be me.

Mostly I just wanted to see how a glammed up Vancouver would look.

Apparently a "glammed up" Vancouver looks like a three dollar whore.

Actually the shots of the city shown in RHoV do look great, and they even have some new views one doesn't often see.

It's more how these five women come across.

This show doesn't represent the ethnic or cultural diversity of the city.

I'm sure even in Vancouver's 1% there is greater diversity.

In the other Real Housewives series there's usually one of the wives whose wealth doesn't seem to be the reason for her existence.

Jeana Keough and Vicki Gunvalson had jobs and Gretchen Rossi looked after her ailing husband (Kind of like a housewife.)

Keough's tag line in the first season of Real Housewives of Orange County was "It's just money and you can't take it with you."

The Vancouver show seems to be a parody of the Real Housewives franchise.

I'm not sure if it's more embarrassing than the 2010 Stanley Cup riot or the 1994 riot.

Or, perhaps it's performance art.

At that level it makes sense, because none of these people could possibly be for real.

Because there must be places rich people can get good plastic surgery.

And who says, "I just wouldn't stand her up, I mean she's got a late model freaking Bentley!" (Okay, she's got a car.)

And seriously, Christina Kiesel is 30?

Seriously?


Related links
Real Housewives of Vancouver [Slice]
Photos: Say hello to The Real Housewives of Vancouver cast [Georgia Straight]

Related video

No comments: