Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Labyrinth

I walked a labyrith yesterday. If you think you know what that is, you're wrong. Unless, of course, you're right. If you think it's underground, you're wrong. If you think it's a maze you're wrong too. To quote (or "rip off" depending on how you view the world) the lovely (I assume they're lovely, I hope their lovely or else they'll sue me for ripping them off) people at lessons4living.com "A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools." I had heard of them as a spiritual discipline and I wanted to try it for myself. Okay, yes, basically, I walked around, kind of in a circle, but that's kind of like saying meditiation is "just sitting there". Well, okay, it is just sitting there, but there's more to it than that. Look, you just have to try it yourself. I used it as a meditation to stay focussed in the present. The very present. The very step I was talking. I tend to either be lost in the past, or obessing about the future (or is it the other way around, I'll have to think about it for a moment....), so I thought this would be an interesting spiritual practice to add (I like centering prayer too). I enjoyed my experience, although downtown Toronto probably wasn't the ideal setting for a meditative spiritual experience, but you work with what you've got.

It's raining today, I'm not going anywhere. I'm wearing long pants for the first time in weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...so, given that you haven't updated your blog since putting in this post, can one assume you're suffering from labyrinthitis? I hope not - that's NO fun at all.