Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Circle of Life


Yesterday I traded in my beloved Nikon Coolpix 8800 camera for an auto-focus 50mm f/1.8 lens and three UV filters. The store, Henry's in Kingston, gave me $250 for the camera and I just had to pay an additional $80 for the rest. I thought the $250 was a good deal because it was more than the lens I was buying ($175), and so I bought the filters because I needed them. Actually, getting $250 for something you paid about $1100 for less than two years ago isn't a great deal, but technology marches on and at least I wasn't trying to trade in my beloved Canon G1. Never mind how long ago I bought that camera, let me simply tell you that Canon just released the G7 model, and now you can guess how much I would have gotten for my beloved G1. Yeah for the relentless march of technology!

The 50mm prime (which means it has no zoom feature) lens takes me kind of full circle to the first SLR camera I owned, a Minolta XG-7. It was bought (thanks, Mom), for my first photography course in grade 11 with Mr. Mah, and came with a 50mm prime lens. Well, pretty much all SLR cameras at the time came with a 50mm lens right out of the box. The reason I wanted a 50mm lens was for the f/1.8 feature. The "f" is a measure of the size of the opening in the lens which allows light to pass through, this is entirely different and separate from the shutter; the lower the "f" number, the more light that can pass through, and so, with this lens I can shoot in lower light than the two zoom lenses I own. There was an f/1.4 50mm lens, but it was over $400, and I didn't think a difference of f/0.4 was worth that kind of money.

Speaking of circles, on the way home from Kingston I stopped at a grocery store to pick up some food (see Mom, I don't eat out ALL the time), and everything I bought was round. It wasn't part of my grand plan, it just turned out that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baked beans and Pringles chased down with a Diet Coke. Do your body a favour Tony and eat out

adamonse@gmail.com said...

That would explain why I don't feel so good.